The skin undergoes a natural ageing process as we get older. This includes the skin becoming thinner and dryer and developing visual lines. The major cause for premature ageing is sun exposure.
General advice to reduce / prevent premature skin ageing includes:
- Daily use of a Broad Spectrum SPF-50 sunblock. This should be combined with physical protection and use of hats.
- Stop smoking as this speeds up how quickly the skin ages.
- Eat a healthy, well balanced diet. There is some evidence that fresh fruits and vegetables can help prevent skin ageing, whereas excessive sugars can accelerate ageing changes.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions.
- Regular use of a facial moisturiser.
- Drink less alcohol.
In addition to the above general measures, specific topical treatments can help reduce and reverse premature ageing of the skin. These include:
- Retinol based cremes.
- Glycolics/Lactic Acid based treatments.
- Topical Vitamin C.
The dermatologists at Wellington Dermatology are well placed to advise on the treatment of premature ageing skin.